Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Viva Las Vegas

As you can tell, I just posted three weeks worth of stuff in five minutes. I've been writing offline as I have the opportunity-- Pics will be added once I am on Scott's computer again, so check back soon.

We've been here in Las Vegas for three days. I'm running the city educationally, and have been working hard on some exciting workshops-- yesterday was a Personal Vision workshop, that walked through our education curriculum so far this semester, today was getting prepared for traveling to Europe (many of our North Americans for the first time!), so we had a presentation that went over currency, electricity, and other necessary conversions, as well as some cultural differences. We also had an Italian Culture trivia contest, as we fly into Milan in five short days! Tomorrow is the workshop I'm really looking forward to: the closure of the US Tour. Its Art meets Statistics, in an interactive mural form... I'll let you know how it goes.

Tonight was a special treat-- there are quite a few Up with People alumni that work in the administrative and tech crews of Cirque de Soleil, and one of those connections got our staff tickets to see Mystere at Treasure Island. WOW! Cirque shows have such spectacle. My jaw dropped at least 15 times, and I think our tickets should come with a "do not try this at home" warning. Though, i don't know that there are many of us in this world that have the stomach muscles to even begin to attempt the acrobatics those performers execute with ease and grace. SO COOL! I can't decide which I liked better, the 45 degree angled trampolines, or the strongest pair of men I've ever seen. At one point, the bigger of the two guys was laying flat on his stomach with his knees bent so his feet were up in the air, and the other man (only slightly smaller, definitely still 200 lbs of solid muscle) was doing a handstand on the laying-down man's feet! The laying-down man brought his legs down so his shins touched the ground, and then raised the other guy up again, all while the other guy is maintaining a perfectly verdical, steady handstand. it was crazy.

There is so much more to say, but I'm exhausted, and there's another busy day tomorrow. We've been invited to the largest mosque in Nevada, to break fast with the congregation(?), as the month of Ramadan is coming to a close. can't wait to tell you all about it! love ee

No comments: